Thursday, March 25, 2010

My day at the Museum

I enjoyed my visit to the Museum of Moving Images in Queens. I saw many exhibits and saw dozens of audio, video, and light units. There were cameras from the early 19th century on display and in a way, it felt like I went through a time machine. We observed the camera used to film the Wizard of Oz, it was a lot bulkier than modern day cameras. This camera was revolutionary at the time for it's ability to film in color on three different strips of film; which is why it was so bulky.
During the tour, there were many demos that we played with. My favorite were the stop motion demo and dialogue recording demo. In the stop motion demo, I volunteered to dance in front of a camera and it recorded in a lower frame rate. After the tour, I received a flip book of my dancing.
The dialogue demo was very entertaining. We had volunteers watch a video clip from "Babe, pig in the city", and record their own version of the dialogue. Needless to say, they made it quite comical.
Overall, the visit to the museum was educational and entertaining. My favorite part was Edison's kinetograph on display. I was able to look through the lens and watch a woman dancing. Its difficult to believe that back in the day, this was a big deal, considering we have Imax and iPhones in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment